Despite being one of the most long-lasting flooring materials globally, Terrazzo floors aren’t invincible. Here’s why timely Terrazzo restoration services are so vital.
Terrazzo has been used in countless building projects for many decades. This all-purpose flooring material is easily engineerable, which makes it ideal for both interior and exterior applications. Terrazzo floors, wall panels, stairs, etc., can be found in commercial spaces, schools, hospitals, restaurants, etc. Some other reasons why Terrazzo is so popular include –
- Durability: Terrazzo typically lasts longer than most buildings because it has high compressive strength and can withstand heavy amounts of foot traffic.
- Low Costs: Terrazzo is an affordable material because building owners don’t have to spend much on Terrazzo structures apart from the one-time installation cost.
- Compatibility: Terrazzo’s distinctive speckled appearance makes it compatible with marble, glass, and other materials.
- Engineerability: Terrazzo floors can be fully customized to feature elaborate logo designs, floor patterns, etc. This material can also be custom-engineered to create countertops, staircases, shower stalls, etc.
Although Terrazzo floors can resist long periods of water damage, fire damage, etc., the material is still not invincible. Unfortunately, owners of old buildings often overlook the risks their Terrazzo structures face, thinking they’re not prone to any kind of damage. Timely Terrazzo restoration services are extremely important because of various reasons.
The Risks Of Not Restoring Your Terrazzo Floors
Building owners who don’t invest in Terrazzo restoration services will face risks like –
- Permanent scratches in their Terrazzo floors
- Incurable holes and cracks on Terrazzo floor surfaces
- Permanent discoloration
Terrazzo floors are exceptionally durable. With small-scale Terrazzo restoration services, building owners can extend their lives even further. Leaving Terrazzo floors as they make them prone to more damages. Timely restoration can easily fix issues like cracks or stains. Restoration allows Terrazzo floors to be restored to their original shine and beauty.
Restoring Terrazzo – What Are The Best Techniques?
Professional providers of Terrazzo restoration services follow these simple steps –
- Cleaning: Restoration experts remove all debris or waste materials on top of the Terrazzo flooring surfaces. They also get rid of any wax, sealers, or coatings that may have been used on the floor in the past.
- Crack Filling: All-holes, cracks, dents, and missing pieces of the Terrazzo floors are filled in. The filling-in processes are designed to match the patterns of the existing floors so that after the restoration is complete, the floors look just like they used to.
- Polishing: Polishing is a key part of Terrazzo restoration projects. Polished Terrazzo floors maintain their shine for longer periods. Even the areas of the Terrazzo floor that experience high volumes of foot traffic will look brand new after polishing. Polishing these floors also makes them resistant to spills, stains, and cracks. Post-polishing, Terrazzo floors require minimal upkeep.
The Importance Of Polishing
While other techniques of Terrazzo restoration, such as waxing, are also highly efficient, costs of maintenance drop significantly once you polish Terrazzo floors, walls, and other structures. Plus, Terrazzo polishing is a relatively straightforward and time-efficient process. Restoration experts use very simple tools and techniques to polish Terrazzo structures. The results, however, are long-lasting!