It is a risk when you work at height, and if proper safety precautions are not taken, this results in a chance of deadly situation or a heavy injury. When workers work at high places, safety measures become the topmost priority to focus on.
Before starting work at height, there should be a proper inspection of the surface over there as well as safety equipment should be installed. Supervisors should be aware of sturdy or threatened surface, which can cause huge damage to workers at height. You need to be aware of height safety else an accident can happen in seconds.
Dangers of working at heights:
- The vulnerable or damaged surface of the rooftops.
- Sudden change in wind speed, which causes an imbalance for the worker.
- Weight of the worker relative to the surface above.
- Roofs made up of metal sheets or rusted materials indicate the danger to fall.
- There may be a weak connection of all the joints, which may result in threat while working.
Therefore, supervisors should analyse all the conditions accurately as if the inspection is not done properly; then this can threaten someone’s life.
Precautions that need to be taken before starting work at height:
- Accurate planning needs to be done that includes where to start from and what will be the correct processes.
- Take the report of the heightened part: Condition of surface, how much weight it will sustain, what will be the wind speed at a particular height. Workers should be aided with a safe and secure environment while working on height. One little mistake can result in serious injury.
- Installation of safety equipment: Safety measures should be taken before work. This will provide security to workers at work and will reduce the chances of injury or mishappening.
Important height safety equipment should be available for workers. This equipment can aid the workers in being safe on heights and reduce the chance of an accident.
- Electrical safety kit: For electrical workers, while performing electrical works at height, maximum security measures should be taken to avoid any risk. Electrical safety kit will protect the workers from electrical shocks as they’re made with insulated metal. This provides proper stability at height.
- Rope facility: This is the most preferred equipment while working at height. There should be secured rope access for work to minimizes the risk of damage.
- Carabiners and Hooks: These accessories provide stability and lock up facility for workers. These are widely used by Mountain climbers to remain stable. For workers, working at height carabiners and hooks give secure rope stability.
- Gloves and Helmet: For overall security of workers, gloves and helmet are important tools. They give protection to their head from falling objects and protect their hands too.
- Secured ladder: Having the best quality and strong ladder is necessary for workers. This height safety equipment provides a secure medium to reach on the ground.
- Height chairs: when work is carried out on building at height, workers need to use height chairs to have comfortable access while working. His will also reduce the chances of danger. Height chairs can be used while cleaning, painting at heights without disturbance.
So don’t forget to keep these safety measures in mind while working at a great height.