Having blocked pipes can be caused by an eventual build-up of a minor issue, the neglect of which can escalate into a massive problem. These can subsequently cause slow water drainage, corrosion, flooding, or even sewage backup in extreme cases, which can cost you a significant amount in repairs. Thus, it is important for one to be aware of why blocked pipes Benowa observes occur and the subsequent measures that can be deployed to avoid or fix them, whichever comes first.
- Hair: This has to be the one seemingly harmless suspect that inflicts the most damage. Hair strands can bind with grease or other sticky substances to form clogs that eventually lead to clogged drains. The method to deal with this would be not to let it happen in the first place. Place guards over your gutters so that these can catch the stray hair from reaching the pipes. Thus, blocking is prevented; ensure that you clear these guards periodically. This is essential not only to avoid blockages but to maintain hygiene as well.
- Soap: This might be puzzling; however, traditionally, soap bars were curated off fat or grease. This fat in soap combines with water’s minerals to produce a hard residue called soap scum that serves to stain bath fittings and block pipes. Thus, to avoid this from happening, the best solution would be to switch soaps or regard to soap-free washes while having your pipes pressure cleaned to remove traces of soap building.
- Dirt: While drains and pipes function with the primary function of getting rid of dirt, an excess of it at a time can lead to drainage issues. The method to deal with this would be to shake off the dirt and mud outside to whichever capacity is possible before bringing them in to wash.
- Food Waste: These are tough buggers that refuse to go down the drain despite having a garbage disposal in your sink. You remedy this by setting up a composting pit to take care of food waste. This would be ideal for waste such as coffee grounds or tea leaves that do not dissolve or break down. One also needs to be careful with oil or grease that tends to solidify in the pipes to cause blockages. In its stead, you can use paper towels or newspapers to absorb these and subsequently dispose of them in the compost.
- Mineral Build-up: Minerals that appear to have been dissolved in hard water tend to accumulate over time and produce insoluble masses that will conveniently block your drains. The way out would be the installation of a water softener; if this is not possible, you might need to decrease and remove sediment build-up consistently. Mineral build-up clogs can be tough to get rid of once they are established; thus, it is paramount to seek the aid of a professional plumber in such cases
- Small Foreign Objects: These tiny yet random objects might pose significant problems to your plumbing system. Objects meant to be disposed of in the trash, compost or recycling should not be made to go down your drain; these would most definitely block the pipes. If such a foreign object gets stuck in your plumbing, you might need to employ the help of a professional plumber to resolve it.
- Toilet Paper Buildup: These can lead to blocked pipes that prevent your toilets from flushing. Here, if water can still run through the toilet upon flushing, use can take care of it with a plunger. This allows you to shift and dissolve parts of the toilet paper. However, if your toilet is simply filling without any visible draining action, it’s time to call the plumbers.
- Tree Roots: Even the most minor crack or leak in one’s underground pipes can lead to tree root growth. Once these find their way inside, they proliferate and block water from flowing and subsequently causing damage to your pipes. Getting rid of these is a task for the professional. This requires roter service, pressure jet cleaning, trenchless repair, and even excavation under some circumstances. Thus, periodic monitoring of the root structures of your trees and plants along with that of your drains would save you from incurring costly repairs.
The aforementioned points throw light on the various causes of residential blocked pipes Benowa tends to witness, how to circumvent them and what point should one call for professional help.